“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance speech, 1964
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is the epitome of a peace hero. He stressed the use of soul force, nonviolent pressure, to make the USA a more just country.
Martin Luther King, Jr., delivering “I Have a Dream”
Martin Luther King, Jr., delivering his “I Have a Dream” speech during the March on Washington
* Spokesman for the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott,
* Elected president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957,
* Led nonviolent campaign and drafted “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” in 1963,
* Gave “I Have a Dream” speech at the March on Washington later in 1963,
* Accepted Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo in 1964,
* Influenced Congress to pass Civil Rights Act in 1964 and Voting Rights Act in 1965,
* Addressed economic justice in the Poor People’s Campaign and international peace by speaking out against the Vietnam War.
For more information about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.:
The Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute
Thank you for supporting peacebuilding and the Miami Valley Peace Heroes Trail!